Thursday, July 2, 2009

Innocence and Ignorance

Innocence and Ignorance

A few days ago, after a rather tiring day, I took to the couch in the hope of getting a little respite from the everyday routine.

My one year old was busy rummaging through his older sibling precious belongings, while I blissfully adhered myself to the wonders of the idiot box.

A little later, I see my son by the backyard window intently staring at something with rapt attention. I decided it was a bird hovering around and amusing the child and ignored his constant gibberish for some George Lopez. I thought I heard a bark, but it soon evaded my memory as one of Benny’s annoying quips caught my attention. A few minutes passed by, and I see my hyper active son still engaged with the backyard amusement. Happy that I have my moment’s peace, I continued my TV watching.

Suddenly, he came running with pointy fingers saying ‘bow bow’. I was amused by the little one’s imagination and without further ado, rushed to prove that it was a bird, only to see that my baby had indeed seen a recognized a dog! Waves of motherly love and pride flooded my heart and my thoughts went immediately to my Mom who persistently kept teaching him the bark of a dog, but I didn’t realize that he had indeed made a connection, and found a missing dog!

Before I could make arrangements to find the owner, the little terrier had disappeared! Praying for her safety, I made some quick checks to see that all the neighbors at home had their pets with them.

That evening as I was narrating this incident to another neighbor and lo-behold, I see the little pup staring at my face! It seems, she had found the side door to be open and since she was in the care of friends while her masters were vacationing, she had made a run for the busy street. Luckily, she was identified and fetched before a racing car at 40 miles per hour got to her.

I was glad that the happy union took place and everything ended well, but it made me realize that even 1 year olds have a sharp sense of things around them and we should never ignore their innocence. They might just spot your missing gold earrings or that anniversary diamond ring!

No comments:

Post a Comment